LOW INCOME TAX EXEMPTION
The Municipality of the District of Guysborough is accepting applications for the Low Income Tax Exemption for the 2017/2018 fiscal year.
Application forms are available here or by phoning the Municipal Office at 533-3705 extension 229. The applications are also available in the Spring and Summer Newsletters.
All applications for the Low Income Tax Exemption are required to have a copy of their Canada Customs and Revenue Agency’s Notice of Assessment (Year 2017) and a completed application form signed by the property owner(s). Eligibility for the Low Income Tax Exemption is restricted to homeowners whose combined household income is $25,000.00 or less per year. Actual taxes or $100.00 is applied to your account or a refund if account is paid in full.
In order to qualify for this exemption, previous year taxes must be paid in full or if there is an outstanding tax balance, a repayment schedule must be set up and followed with the municipal office. Applications for the low income tax will be received up to July 31, 2017. Please call 533-3705 extension 229 for a copy of the application.
IT SHALL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO APPLY FOR THE TAX EXEMPTION.
COUNCIL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Low Income Tax Exemption
1) All applicable sections of this application must be completed in full.
2) All applications must be signed by the applicant.
3) All signatures must be witnessed by either one of the following:
b) Justice of the Peace
c) Commissioner of Oaths
4) Applications must be received by the Municipality of the District of Guysborough on or before July 31, 2017.
5) Applications must include Notice of Assessment(s) from Canada Revenue
Agency CRA) for the year 2015 for all members residing in same household, including spouse, common law partner and other person (not including students).
6) Please return all applications to the following address:
Leona Sangster, Tax Revenue Clerk
Municipality of the District of Guysborough
PO Box 79
Guysborough, NS B0H 1N0
7) Previous year (2016/2017) taxes must be paid in full.
8) If a repayment schedule has previously been approved, terms of the agreement must be adhered to over the past 12 months to be eligible.
9) If you require further assistance please call the tax office at 902-533-3705 (ext.229)
10) This is an Exemption for taxes for the year 2017/2018 for property taxes only. The exemption does not apply to area(s) rates (ie: fire levies, street light levies, sewer operating etc.)
11) the tax exemption will be the lesser of :
a) Actual taxes or $100 if total income is $25,000 or less